Wednesday, September 16, 2026

I survived the Homegrown poetry event in Chadron, Nebraska!

It was fantastic!  It was amazing!  It was, dare I say, magical! 

Readings by Jewel Rodgers, Stephanie E. Glass, Robert McEwen and John L. Harmon   SATURDAY @ 6PM HOMEGROWN A TRAVELING series  SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 5th, 2026 @ 6PM Organized by Nebraska State Poet, Jewel Rodgers, Homegrown is a traveling community arts series where everyone is welcome to listen, connect, or share original work. Enjoy a popcorn-style community reading. performances by Jewel and other notable poets, and an open share featuring poetry, stories, music, visual art, and more. Prefer to just listen? Come as you are. Snacks and light refreshments provided. Free and open to all. MADE POSSIBLE BY THE ACADEMY OF AMERICAN POETS CHADRON OPEN ART 223 MAIN STREET, CHADRON NE 69332
Those are some of the statements I exclaimed to those who asked how the poetry event went.  It was a breath of fresh air to step into the creative atmosphere of Chadron Open Art.  The proprietors, poets and people I met there were warm and inviting.  Honestly, I felt a bit loud and artless among such thoughtful, artistic souls in such an artistic place. 
Chadron Open Art

Empty chairs inside Chadron Open art

Thankfully, the 2 Daniels of Chadron Open Art and the other poets, Jewel Rodgers, Stephanie E. Glass and Robert McEwen accepted me for whichever me was present that evening.  I know I was feeling super excited and enthusiastic for the event, so I can only imagine how tactless and uncool I was being.  Dork be dorking, but that’s ok. 
A line of poets, Robert McEwen, John L. Harmon, Stephanie E. Glass and Jewel Rodgers.
Robert, John, Stephanie and Jewel!
I was a bundle of nerves as the event kicked off, but watching and listening to Jewel and Stephanie perform their moving, thought-provoking words helped me to relax.  When Jewel introduced me, I was ready, but more about that later.  After my moment, Bob transfixed the audience with his poetry and humor.  I felt a distinct impression the majority of the room knew Bob in one way or another.  I definitely won’t forget him now that I’ve met him.  The incredible evening wrapped up perfectly with a few volunteers from the crowd sharing their poetry.  One piece about loving yourself, by a poet named Bailey (spelling?), was beautiful and relatable. 

As for my moment in the spotlight, I feel I did well.  My sister claimed I did a great job.  A few friends from home and elsewhere expressed similar opinions after watching the YouTube video my sister shot and I uploaded that very night.  I’ll let you judge for yourself… 
I must give a shout-out to Jeanne and The Olde Main Street Inn!  This historic hotel, located in downtown Chadron, Nebraska is like stepping back in time.  Jeanne greeted my sister and I with a refresher drink and we all had a delightful chat for almost an hour.  Our room, The Cowboy Room, was wonderfully unique.  So much more atmosphere than a chain hotel.  The next morning, over our choice of caffeine, we chatted with Jeanne about this, that and everything.  She made us feel at home and we will definitely stay at The Olde Main Street Inn the next time we visit the city of Chadron! 
The Olde Main Street Inn

The bar in The Olde Main Street Inn.

A steep staircase in The Olde Main Street Inn.

The keys to The Cowboy Room at The Olde Main Street Inn.


Another shout-out goes to Chadron Public Library at its temporary location!  My sister and I found its usual home, but it is being remodeled.  Thankfully, the rather groovy temporary location is not too far away from The Olde Main Street Inn and was easy to find.  I donated copies of Vision Bent, Dark Excursions and Sturgeons for possible inclusion into their collection.  It would be awesome to see my books at a second Nebraska library, but we shall see if they are accepted. 
Temporary location of Chadron Public Library.
Overall, the weekend of September 5 & 6 was fantastic, amazing and, yes, even magical.  I got up in front of a crowd and performed my poetry and the audience seemed to enjoy and maybe related to my words.  I feel a sense of pride for having done what I could’ve scarcely imagined a few years ago, but the sound of the applause still embarrasses me.  So, even if nothing else comes from this event, at least I can say, “I did it!” 
John L. Harmon sits near a display of three of his books.  Dark Excursions (the complete set),  Vision Bent (half-blind poems).  Sturgeons (the complete serials).

Freak Out, 

JLH 


P.S.  On the way home, we swung by Carhenge in Alliance, Nebraska.  Think Stonehenge made out of cars.  It was interesting and thankfully free. 
Standing outside carhenge in alliance Nebraska

No comments:

Post a Comment