I was searching for a soundtrack to some other film when I noticed a soundtrack to a film with a long and unusual title. My first thought was, Is that a real movie?After doing research, I realized it is a real film, obvi. The trailer hypnotized me! Gillian Anderson of X-Files fame stars! Jane Schoenbrun (I SAW THE TV GLOW) is the writer/director! I felt an overwhelming need (yes, need) to see TEENAGE SEX AND DEATH AT CAMP MIASMA! I so badly wanted to grab my Mad Scientist Glasses and catch a showing in a theater, but I live in the center of Nebraska. The closest theater showing it was 2 and a half hours away. If I could drive, I would’ve been there in a heartbeat. I even checked public transportation, which is about an hour away, and departures were at 2 in the morning! It SUCKS to be visually impaired in the middle of nowhere! Anyhoo…since a theater screening was not going to happen, I purchased a digital copy from Apple TV the moment I could. I convinced myself doing this was no different than purchasing an unknown Blu-ray from Vinegar Syndrome. Ultimately, purchasing the digital version was perhaps better for my half-blind eyes than seeing it in the theater because of the extraordinarily helpful Descriptive Audio language option. You might be asking, “What is TEENAGE SEX AND DEATH AT CAMP MIASMA about?”
Well…
Is it about rebooting a problematic film franchise from a queer perspective?
Is it about the stress of being a young filmmaker?
Is it about the emotional toll of being an actor?
Is it about how films can positively and negatively alter us?
Is it about the blurring of lines between reality and film?
Is it about the female orgasm?
I will just say Gillian Anderson and Hannah Einbinder better receive acting nods as the two leads! As for Jane Schoenbrun, if they aren’t nominated for original screenplay and director, then the Academy Awards can sink to the bottom of Lake Miasma!
In conclusion…
TEENAGE SEX AND DEATH AT CAMP MIASMA was everything I expected, but also so much more. I actually can’t stop thinking about it. So if you’re a horror fan who enjoys a smart, unique take on the genre, grab some fried chicken, dipping sauce and loads of candy to better prepare yourself for meeting Little Death!
Freak Out,
JLH
P.S. Don’t forget to check out my post all about the recent poetry event I survived…
📜
https://freakboyzone.blogspot.com/2026/09/i-survived-homegrown-poetry-event-in.html
📜




No comments:
Post a Comment