Thursday, September 7, 2023

No time for blogging…

Shouldn’t he be reviewing another STAR WARS film right about now?  Where is a new poem, of sorts?  Why hasn’t he obsessively blogged about Andy Milligan lately? 

I hope these are the prevalent questions in your mind, but don’t freak out!  They will all happen, sooner or later.  I’ve just been busy lately.  I mean, STURGEONS (the complete serials) won’t plug itself.  Well, maybe it can with a few fantastic reader photos! 📗 😍
A near-perfect pic of STURGEONS the complete serials, by john L. Harmon really captures the cover.

The ebook version of  STURGEONS the complete serials, by john L. Harmon on a Kindle device.

A cat sniffs STURGEONS the complete serials, by john L. Harmon.
Feline Approved!
Then I have a book signing event approaching like a noose slowly tightening around my throat.  It’s more of a meet & greet situation where readers will approach me, grab a cookie and (hopefully) pick up an autographed copy of STURGEONS.  I’m not sure if anyone will turn up, but I hope so.  I mean, the article in the Custer County Chief should draw out a few curious folk or at least Ms. Minch! 
A flyer for Sturgeons the complete serials, by john L. Harmon shows 6 copies of the  book fanned out with a purple hued photo of the author looking up at them.  Text reads, ONE TOWN.   TWO STORIES.   DARKENING STURGEONS  Chief Deputy Benjamin Straker is thrust into investigating a series of mysterious disappearances and uncovers a plot that threatens the entire town of Sturgeons.  HAUNTING STURGEONS  Ten years after his brother’s disappearance, Jimmy Schroder returns to Sturgeons with a desire for connection, the danger of revenge and damage from the past.  Broken bow public library.  Author visit. Sept. 8th.  2 to 4 pm. John L. Harmon
Kim, a groovy librarian, designed this awesome flyer!
Yes, I was interviewed for the local paper.   Managing Editor Mona Weatherly wrote a great article about STURGEONS, my vision loss and my writing in general.  The headline, Author fights to get back to writing ‘fun, quirky’ stories is newspaper perfection!  Here are the photos which appeared on a different page than the article.  The purple one is my Amazon Author Page pic and the orange one was taken by Mona.  She said I looked like a proud author, but I said I looked positively goofy, as usual.  
Headline reads, Broken Bow author talks about vision loss and his return to writing.  Top photo shows John L. Harmon smiling loudly while wearing an orange shirt with a caption reads, Pictured at right is John L. Harmon holding his book, "Sturgeons (the complete serials" and wearing what he calls his "mad scientist glasses."  Read about Harmon's loss of "a chunk of vision" and how writing helped him fight despair on page A5.  Mona Weatherly Second photo is the purple hued photo if John L. Harmon wearing headphones and mad scientist glasses gazing upwards, with a caption that reads, At left, is John L. Harmon's author's photo. The Broken Bow native will discuss his writing, Friday, Sept. 8, at the Broken Bow Public Library. See page. A5
Courtesy Custer County Chief 
To top it all off, I no longer deliver bad news 🗞️ around town.  It was time for that part of my life to end and I definitely won’t miss it this winter. ❄️  My predicted post-Covid 19 career of peddling my wares at a truck stop never manifested, but I am getting wet at a local diner instead.  Yes, I am now a visually impaired dishwasher 🍽️ by day and a queer indie author ✏️ by night!  
A cardboard sign is taped to a window with handwritten text whjch reads, Help wanted.  Dishwasher.  Apply inside.
I saw the sign!  Well, my sister saw it and told me about it.
Plus, thanks to Vinegar Syndrome and AGFA, I just started digging into the films of Jon Moritsugu.  From what I’ve experienced so far, his very DIY/experimental films are like Gregg Araki and David Lynch had an allegedly nihilistic, pseudo-intellectual punk rock baby.  In other words, this box set is going to take a bit and challenge me along the way. 
The blu-ray cover of Terminal Degeneration, the films of Jon Moritsugu shows two blond haired people wearing funky round sunglasses while looking bored and dissatisfied.
Well, until I blog about whether my book event is a pop 👍 or a flop 👎, thank you for reading or listening to my half-blind words. 

Freak Out, 
JLH 

P.S.  Here is the first review of STURGEONS on Goodreads
Gary Beck-Dallaghan’s Goodreads review of STURGEONS, The complete serials by john L. Harmon reads, What an enjoyable, quirky read. I remember reading these serials each week when John was originally writing them. It was just as much fun now as it was the first time around. Actually, having the stories collected into a single book made it even better. I felt as though I was picking up on some little details and hints of things to come that I missed when I originally read the online stories. Great work and great intrigue. It's one of those books that you quite literally do not want to put down.  Obviously, slow reader that I am I finished it in 4 days.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, John... Congrats on your upcoming book signing! I wish I could be there to cheer you on in person, but alas, I'm currently on a ship somewhere on the Northwest Pacific Coast. Best of luck to you, and I hope you find some time to blog about Jon Moritsugu soon! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barry! Enjoy your vacation and I'm sure I'll eventually blog about his films!

      Delete
  2. Wow congratulations John, so happy for you with a book signing and all those adventures you mention. Go you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's busy busy, and then there's the busy that feels great at the end of the day -- here's wishing you much more of the latter! Congratulations on all the attention the book is getting! Looking forward to seeing more about Moritsugu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian! I've been so busy lately that I haven't finished the box set yet, but I definitely have some things to say about the films I've experienced! Lol

      Delete