Tuesday, December 7, 2021

HAUNTING STURGEONS: Chapter Eighteen

 Previously in this blog serial...


(Click here to read Chapter Seventeen


Now the HAUNTING continues...

______________


Haunting Sturgeons, Chapter 18 by john L. Harmon


    I am entering a less suspicious atmosphere in Gordon’s Bar.  A few heads turn at the sound of the door, but I no longer hold their interest.  They quickly return to their conversations and drinks as a slow instrumental song plays on the jukebox.  There is no sign of Eddie, so I take a seat at the bar. 


    Valerie Danforth steps up to the other side and scrutinizes me with a genial smile.  “Long day, Jimmy?”


    After the emotional land mind of Ms. Minch, reading the lawman’s book while being watched by an eager librarian and the disappointing conversation with the bride of Woodhouse, a long day seems like an understatement.  “Yeah, and a strange one, Val.” 


    “Welcome to Sturgeons,”she gently smirks, placing a coaster in front of me.  “What will it be?”


    We lock eyes and I once again see the haunted look of someone who lost a loved one to Sturgeons.  “Maybe just a water while I wait for Eddie.”  


    She nods in what I assume is approval.  “Is he why you came back to town?” 


    From someone else, the blunt question might irritate me, but she is obviously protective of Eddie.  “He is one reason.  Another reason is my brother.”  


    Val places a glass of water on the coaster and leans in, “I understand.  The memory of my grandfather brought me back here.” 


    “Eddie told me your grandfather owned this bar.” 


    “Oh, he didn’t just own it, he started Gordon’s.  Turned an empty building into a thriving business.”  She briefly glances towards the jukebox and the mounted croquet mallet above it.  “Gramps loved this place, so I knew Gordon’s Bar would return when Sturgeons was rebuilt.”


      “Do you ever wonder what happened to your grandfather?”  I cringe inside, hoping I haven’t crossed a line.  “Sorry.”  


    “It’s ok, Jimmy.  I do think about all the rumors and theories, but I try not to dwell on it.”  She randomly wipes a rag over an area of the bar, “My gramps wouldn’t want me to get lost in mourning.” 


    I take in her words, a sentimental variation of the scientist’s advice, and try to apply them to my situation.  We both lost someone, but I suspect our last ten years have been extremely different from one another.  Did Val experience the endless crying or the encompassing rage?  Did she end up losing so much more than her grandfather?  I open my mouth to ask, but she stops me before I can begin. 


    “Besides, there are better things to dwell on.”  Val moves away from the bar, her curly hair bouncing lightly.  “I’ll bring you a pitcher.” 


    This confuses me until a  hand comes to rest on my shoulder and I hear his voice, “Thanks, Val.”  


    I turn a little to find Eddie standing at my side, his lopsided grin larger than usual.  “Hope you haven’t been waiting long.” 


    “No,” I answer, feeling the warmth of his touch.  “You’re right on time.” 

______________


The HAUNTING continues in…


Chapter 19/

Thank you for reading or listening to my half-blind words! 


Freak Out, 

JLH 


~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click the pic ⤵️ for an interview with a duo of horror bloggers…


Maniacs and monsters


8 comments:

  1. There is so much to unpack with this story...and it all continues to feel like grasping for air. I know you've got this mapped out and I cannot wait until you peel back all the layers of this artichoke story. It's compelling as well as frustrating as I'm trying to get inside your mind (dear Goddess I can't believe I said that out loud).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I’ve been wondering about the level of frustration this story may be causing and you’re welcome!

      As for my mind…good luck and please keep appendages inside the vehicle at all times.

      Delete
  2. Oh, the mystery! I sense a Twin Peaks sort of vibe...or am I off base? Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am picturing this as an 1980s movie, possibly with Rob Lowe in the lead... If this completely different to your thoughts please tell me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing about literature is the reader can imagine the characters however they want to.

      while I don't have any specific actors in mind, I really can't picture Rob Lowe as the lead or any of the characters. Not even when he was younger. However, if that's who you picture, then go with it.

      Delete
  4. Aack, these chapters always end so quick. :-)

    ReplyDelete