Sunday, March 19, 2023

A Decade of Dinkel (the 10th anniversary of “DARK EXCURSIONS: first set”)

Calling myself out 
Stepping into light 
Without a thought or plan 
Just a dream held tight 
-excerpt from 2013, a poem from VISION BENT (half-blind poems

It was March 19th, 2013 when I called myself out as an indie author and stepped into light with the release of my first ebook.  

The ebook cover for Dark excursions first set shows a pool of blood on a marble floor

DARK EXCURSIONS: first set was out in the world and I was simultaneously excited and terrified.  I wondered if anyone would read my soap opera tale of murder, manipulation and lust.  Then, when a few copies were downloaded, I worried what the readers would think.  Would they understand?  Would they enjoy it?  Would they think it’s utter crap?  

Thankfully, the years have brought some positive reviews I try to wear those kind words as a shield from the cricket-chirping silence from other readers.  I interpret silence as having nothing good to say, but those quiet readers don’t matter.  If they don’t get my story, then they don’t get me. 
 
Now, ten years later, those readers who get me are still here providing support and encouragement.  This means the world to me and I can’t thank you enough.  You’ve made the last ten years worth it and will make the next ten years even better. 

To celebrate the 10th Anniversary of DARK EXCURSIONS: first set, I seriously considered unpublishing the ebook, but that was born from a dark moment of self-doubt.  Instead, I put together a hardcover edition and this rather spiffy looking book is available from an Amazon near you.  

The hardcover edition of DARK EXCURSIONS: first set, by john L. Harmon is displayed with mad scientist glasses and other books
My proof copy is obviously not for resale

So, thank you for loving Dinkel, the one-armed gardener and loving to hate Anapola Van Der Van, the manipulative matriarch.  They are two of my favorite emotionally damaged characters and are waiting to be discovered by new sets of eyes and rediscovered by familiar ones. 

Thank you for reading or listening to any and all of my words over these last 10 years.  

Freak Out, 
JLH 

10 comments:

  1. Just started reading this and I love these characters.. not such soap bopera as you say, I immediately am thinking of it as 1980s mini series. Good stuff so far.. and I am mentally casting it too... Watch this space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should say Just not such and soap opera! Sorry for the mix up.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far and thank you for clarifying. Lol

      Maybe you're right about a 1980s miniseries. In my head, it's like a mixture of dynasty and desperate housewives. L

      Delete
    3. I love how your mind works.. now seeing Dex (Michael Nader) as Dinkel!

      Delete
    4. Oops that should say Crop..
      Jack Coleman as Dinkel

      Delete
  2. Love this John. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete