Friday, August 28, 2026

The Sleepless Night of Imposter Syndrome

Who the hell do I think I am
A writer, so called 
Because I don’t know
What else to be 
An indie author 
Who hasn’t authored 
Something truly new 
In more years 
Than I’d care to count 
A blogger 
Chock full of nonsense 
Obscure film reviews 
Rarely a short story 
Between a smattering of poems   
A poet 
One collection 
Almost a decade old 
Dust covered half-blind words 
Shaken off 
Blown clean 
For fresh ears 
New eyes 
Different minds 
Deciding my fate 
Don’t say they’ll love me 
Stroking my ego 
So it won’t crack 
Splintering 
Shattering 
Into dark reflections 
Of self doubt and hate 
I need to refract 
Redirect 
Swirling thoughts 
Forming them 
Reshaping them 
With a spoonful of delusion 
A survival technique 
So I may step 
Center stage 
Metaphorical spotlight 
Temporarily 
Blinding and enhancing 
My remaining sight 
A black and white image of a glowing light.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
2026, John L. Harmon 

______________
Woke up way too early and I couldn’t fall back asleep.  Wild and terrified thoughts running rampant, so I had to rein them in.

Freak Out, 
JLH 

P.S. I’m excited, and obviously, a bit nervous about the upcoming Homegrown Traveling Series poetry event, happening on September 5th in Chadron, Nebraska.  I’ll be reading a few selections from VISION BENT (half-blind poems)
Vision bent (half-blind poems by john L. Harmon

Readings by Jewel Rodgers, Stephanie E. Glass, Robert McEwen and John L. Harmon   SATURDAY @ 6PM HOMEGROWN A TRAVELING series  SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 5th, 2026 @ 6PM Organized by Nebraska State Poet, Jewel Rodgers, Homegrown is a traveling community arts series where everyone is welcome to listen, connect, or share original work. Enjoy a popcorn-style community reading. performances by Jewel and other notable poets, and an open share featuring poetry, stories, music, visual art, and more. Prefer to just listen? Come as you are. Snacks and light refreshments provided. Free and open to all. MADE POSSIBLE BY THE ACADEMY OF AMERICAN POETS CHADRON OPEN ART 223 MAIN STREET, CHADRON NE 69332

No comments:

Post a Comment