Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Writer's Bend Visits The Attic


 
The following was originally posted on The Writer's Bend, my author page on Facebook...Click for more info.
 
 
"The wisdom of the attic was in my bones, etched on my brain, part of my flesh."  - from the chapter 'Endings, Beginnings'

Yes, it was the recent made-for-Lifetime movie that inspired my decision to revisit FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC.  Many years have passed since I last read this controversial novel from 1979 and now, older and allegedly wiser, I found a fresh perspective.

I recall during my long-ago initial read that I feared and hated the steely, emotionless grandmother more than any other character.  This time I found myself fearing and absolutely loathing the mother, a wretched creature that is the true witch in this dark tale of loss, hope, abandonment and forbidden love.  Corrine Foxworth would make an excellent wife to Guy Woodhouse from Ira Levin's "Rosemary's Baby".  The vile duo could live happily ever after selling their souls for wealth, while betraying the ones they profess to loving most.

There is one more thing I must add.  While revisiting the Dresden Dolls in their attic garden/prison, I realized how much this book influenced my own writing.  Subconsciously, Anapola Van Der Van (from "Dark Excursions") must have been partly inspired by an amalgamation of the grandmother and mother.  Damaged and harsh characters aside, there is a seed of something in V.C. Andrews that reminds me a little of myself.
 


 
Be well, Readers, and Freak Out,

JLH

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Now you have convinced me on this.. especially since I know a bit about Anapola now.

    ReplyDelete