Tuesday, January 3, 2023

To Dream of Laurie Partridge…


Susan Dey as Laurie partridge, dressed in purple with long brown hair.

I sporadically caught reruns of The Partridge Family as a kid, but have never considered myself a fan of this pop music family sitcom.  I was more of a Brady Buncher, so it’s odd I would have a dream about Laurie Partridge, as portrayed by Susan Dey.   I mean, you’d think I’d dream of Keith or his Hardy brother from another show, but neither  Cassidy ever interested me.  


As for the dream I experienced in the early morning hours of January 2nd, I was in my late teens or early 20’s, sitting in what appeared to be a bedroom with Laurie Partridge.  She was dressed in the early 1970’s style and was eagerly trying to convince me to get high with her using a new weird drug.  I finally agreed because you can’t say no to Laurie Partridge.  


She passed me a hard cocoon-ish shell I could hold with one hand and told me to suck the creature out and spit it onto a paper plate.  Then she planned to mash the creature up and mix the remains with some substance.  We would then eat the result for our high, which, for some reason, made perfect sense to me.


So, I glanced inside and saw something dark and leathery.  Then I held the cocoon-ish shell between my lips and sucked it out.  The creature was alive and it felt like multiple little suction cups were clinging to the inside of my mouth.  Whatever it was couldn’t or wouldn’t simply be spit out, so I had to reach in and yank it free.  I plopped the dark leathery round creature, with its thick little tendrils, on the paper plate.  Just as Laurie Partridge was about to mash it up, someone knocked on the door.  She quickly covered the plate and hid it under a writing desk.  


That’s when I woke up, feeling rather unsettled.  My first thought was how horrifying it was to feel the creature clinging to the inside of my mouth.  I was relieved it’s the dead of winter, so hopefully this dream wasn’t brought on by a bug or a spider crawling into my gaping snore-hole.  Then I questioned the appearance of Laurie Partridge and who knocked on the door.  Was it Mrs. Partridge or the entire family?  Would I have gone tripping with the Partridges?  Lastly, I shook my head at the absurdity of the dream.  I would never allow a creature, even a gross one, to be killed just for a high.  No, not even for Laurie Partridge.


Susan Dey as Laurie partridge, resting her face in her hands, looking bemused


Anyhoo, I don’t know what this freaky dream means, but it’s one way to start the new year.   It’s definitely more interesting than the post I had originally been working on.  It was to be a list of things I hope to accomplish in 2023, so at least now I won’t be publicly embarrassed when I fail to achieve anything I have planned.  I’ll just be embarrassed to know everyone knows how deranged my dreams can get. 🤪


Thank you for reading or listening to my half-blind words and Happy New Year! 


Freak Out, 

JLH 


P.S.  You probably already filled your 2023 reading list, but maybe you can squeeze in a few more titles…

📚 

Books by john L. Harmon


4 comments:

  1. Yep, that's one freaky dream, John (actually I'm kinda jealous, since mine are usually kind of blah). If David Cronenberg directed a scene of The Partridge Family, I'm sure it would look something like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank you for reading, Barry!
      My dreams are generally not this interesting, so I don't know what brought this one on, but I'm glad I had it. Unless it was a spider that inspired it! Lol

      Plus, you're right about David cronenberg, but I'm surprised it wasn't more of a twin peaks David Lynch dream then. Maybe next time. .

      Delete
  2. This sounds one crazy dream.. I haven't had a celebrity dream for ages no matter how much of Alain Delon I see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was crazy and it's very rare for me to have celebrity dreams, unfortunately.

      Delete