Tuesday, August 24, 2021

HAUNTING STURGEONS: Chapter Three

Previously in this blog serial...


(Click here to read Chapter Two) 


Now the HAUNTING continues...

______________


Haunting Sturgeons, Chapter 3, by John L. Harmon

    I am staring straight ahead, waiting for the officer to appear.  I know it will not be him, but I still expect to see the lawman, looking just like he did as he strode past my family’s car all those years ago.  A quick and efficient rap at my left causes me to flinch.  I begin rolling down the window, looking out at the beige-clad officer. 


    “Good afternoon, sir.  Do you realize your left taillight is out?” she inquires with that perfect provincial blend of friendly authority. 


    “No, I didn’t...” I give the badge a cursory glance, “...Sheriff Johns.”  Even with the higher rank and her brown hair mostly hidden underneath a beige hat, I recognize this keeper of law.


    Sheriff Johns gives me a curious expression as she asks for my license and registration.   I gather the requested documents and offer them through the window.  As she takes them from my hand, I slip back ten years. 


    We were driving around town after skipping stones at Lake Pontoon.  Tommy loved showing off the sleek power of his new red convertible.  His short blond hair barely reacted to the wind as we sped through the streets of Sturgeons, while mine blew every which way.  It was exhilarating and he didn’t even care when he was pulled over.  After receiving a speeding ticket, he gazed in the side mirror as the light-blue clad officer walked back to her vehicle. 


    “Man, I wish Leslie Johns would’ve demanded to frisk me.“ 


    I sat in the passenger seat, keeping my thoughts on police officers to myself.  “What about Tracy and Stickler Hill?” 


    “Well, I’ll tell you, Jimmy...” he gripped the steering wheel tighter, “...Sunday morning is a long ways away and it won’t be my first time.” 


    “Are you Tommy Schroder’s brother?” Sheriff Johns sudden whisper grabs me away from my memories. 


    “Yes,” I answer cautiously.  “Is that a problem?” 


    “No,” she again whispers and briefly chuckles, continuing at a normal volume.  “No, not at all.  We just don’t see many returns these days.  So, what brings you back to Sturgeons?” 


    I flash a relaxed smile, like Tommy always did in these situations, “It was just finally time to visit a familiar face or two.” 


    The Sheriff looks at my license and then into my eyes.  I see her hesitation as she takes one more glance at my license before returning the documents.  “I’ll let this slide on one condition, Jimmy.  You need to drive directly to Newcastle Body Shop and get that taillight taken care of.” 


    “It’s a deal, Sheriff Johns.  Is it still in the same location?”


    “Yes,” she answers, giving my car a quick pat.  “Now you have a nice visit and welcome home, Jimmy Schroder.”


    Unlike Tommy, I don’t ogle the keeper of law as she returns to her vehicle.  Instead, I take a deep breath and put the car in gear.  Pulling away from first contact, I imagine my brother smirking beside me as Newcastle Body Shop draws me deeper into Sturgeons. 

______________


The HAUNTING continues in...


Chapter Four

 


Thank you for reading or listening to my half-blind words! 


Freak Out, 

JLH 


~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pssst...over here...


I managed to squeeze a “freakboy on film” in between HS chapters.  So click the pic ⤵️ to experience my view of an Andy Milligan masterpiece...


Nightbirds


4 comments: