Monday, April 9, 2018

freakboy on film: THE LAST JEDI

2017 
written & directed by Rian Johnson 




"Ah, Skywalker.  Missed you, have I." - Yoda 

 
 
 
 
 
 


I could blog about how THE FORCE AWAKENS left me eager to get to know Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo Ren better, but how Episode VIII turned them into one-note characters.  I could blog about how THE LAST JEDI is the most plotless, pointless, endless STAR WARS film since THE PHANTOM MENACE.  

Instead, I'll be a good Jedi and blog about the three scenes I enjoyed in an otherwise painfully dull, forgettable installment.  SPOILER ALERT: each scene deals with the original characters.  

1) The scene where R2-D2 plays Leia's message from A NEW HOPE.  It was an amusing and touching moment between a boy and his droid, albeit 40 years older.  

2) Yoda burns down the Jedi tree.  It's totally something Yoda would do and seeing the long-dead Jedi master again was the only real surprise in this film.  

3) Luke says good-bye to Leia.  This moment was beautiful on many levels, but Carrie Fisher's passing makes it profound.  

On a side note, Laura Dern was a welcome addition to the cast.  Too bad her character and Leia won't be around to salvage whatever crap Disney shoves down our throats in Episode IX


 
Also, the narrator for the Descriptive Audio option on the DVD, which I borrowed from the library for a second viewing, tries really hard to add excitement to the prolonged action, but there is no escaping the tedious boredom.

So, sit back, relax, extend your lightsaber and watch THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK instead!  

Freak Out, 
JLH 

P.S.  Click FORCE to read my thoughts on Episode VII.
______________________
John L. Harmon is an indie author, blogger & videographer.

enter---> THE JLH COLLECTIVE <---enter

He currently resides left of center in the state of Nebraska and has been visually impaired since December of 2016.

2 comments:

  1. Nice write-up, John. I have very mixed feelings about this movie. I think I'm still in denial that it wasn't better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barry.
      Let's just hope Episode IX is better!

      Delete