Tuesday, June 16, 2020

ONE QUEER TOWN

The following poem is my personal interpretation of what it feels like growing up queer in a small town in the U.S. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~

ONE QUEER TOWN 

I can't be the only one 
In these dusty streets 
Feeling the way I feel 
Alone in the shadows 
Watching the conservative 
Heterosexual life progress 
Knowing they can  
Never truly understand 
The seperation   
The rejection 
The condemnation 
We have experienced 
Love the alleged sinner 
Hate the so-called sin 
Just an excuse 
For their prejudice 
Their desire 
To change us 
To betray us 
Or worse yet 
To pray for us 
If there is an us 
In this one queer town 

~~~~~~~~~~~~


Thank you for reading or listening to my half-blind words. 

Freak Out, 
JLH

6 comments:

  1. wow I love this John! That's certainly how it felt for me too even though my suburb was not that far from NYC and so not all that small but I can definitely relate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steven.
      I was hoping my words would resonate with others.
      Suburbia is like a small town connected to a big city, so there are similarities.

      Delete
  2. Hello and another nomination for you... https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/more-2/my-blogging-awards/two-liebster-awards/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful poem, John. Thanks for sharing. I think the only difference in some so-called "progressive" places is that they hide their bigotry better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barry! 👍
      Sadly, I think you are right about that.

      Delete