Saturday, April 4, 2020

Five Years of Paperbacking DARK EXCURSIONS


It was April 4, 2015 when the 4-in-1 print edition of my e-books series became available to the world.  While most of the readers reside in the United States, a few copies of my post-modern gothic romance exist in other countries.  Knowing that, in total, 23 copies of DARK EXCURSIONS are out there somewhere gives me a bit of comfort. 

I've probably mentioned it before, but I imagine some far of future freak like me stumbling across one of the copies of DARK EXCURSIONS, connecting with its emotionally damaged characters.  Maybe he or she will wonder why my words never reached a bigger audience and decide to make it their life mission to correct this oversight.  He or she will share my book with friends and slowly a cult following will develop.  The cult will then grow into annual conventions where fans dress up as their favorite characters.  Maybe a hardcore fan will go to extremes when attending as  Dinkel, the one-armed gardener.  

Then maybe a streaming service of the future will turn DARK EXCURSIONS into a series, which will be a massive hit.  The actors will become overnight famous, winning all sorts of awards.  The viewers will eagerly discuss the latest episode while waiting for the Soylent Green trucks to arrive.  

Wait, what?  Anyhoo...

I had planned to celebrate this 5th paperback anniversary of DARK EXCURSIONS by creating a cast list of current actors I would like to see in a series or a film.  This was harder than I expected.  Even while I was writing my book, I had Nicole Kidman in mind as the cold, yet overtly sexual Anapola Van Der Van.  I also had a specific person in mind when I created Father John Francis.  "Who?" you might ask.  Well, I gave that seriously disturbed priest my name and my appearance.  Read what you will into that, Dr. Freud. 

As for the rest of the characters, I didn't have anyone in mind while writing, but I later came up with a few interesting choices.  However, some of my choices didn't quite ring true to me.  So I figure I'll just let others cast the series or movie in their own minds while they read my book.

Thank you to all those readers...past, present & future...for breathing life into my characters.  Without you, Anapola, Dinkel, Crop and Cheryl would just be words on a page. 


(Side Note:  I imagine a DARK EXCURSIONS series or film beginning with the song The Trick is to Keep Breathing by Garbage and ending with Devil Inside by INXS)

Freak Out, 
JLH 
P.S.  In case you desire to learn more about DARK EXCURSIONS...
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Collective Eye for April is open, but in a different way...

2 comments:

  1. So started reading this gem of a book and had seen Richard Chamberlain as the priest.. but then had reviewed The Thorn Birds recently...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear you are reading my book, Gill and Richard Chamberlain is an interesting casting choice. You may change your mind before it's over!

      Delete