Monday, October 5, 2015

"What the hell am I doing?"

...is the rhetorical question I ask myself when I know exactly what I'm doing but also know it is crazy.

Maybe it is because I was looking at Dark Excursions on the library shelf and thinking how lonely it must feel.  Maybe it is because I am itching to create something new.  Maybe it is because I know I can, even though it might be a long and painful, but creatively fulfilling process.

Yes, I'm preparing to write another book.  Not a novel this time, but a collection of short stories.  While I could borrow a few stories from this blog, I don't want to do that.  As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, I want to create something new.  Since I am the kind of writer that sometimes needs an outside spark to ignite my words, I did something I rarely do.  I asked for help.

I asked five writers and one librarian to suggest a couple of genres a piece. I explained that I would write down each genre, place them in a jar, draw one and write a short story centered around that genre.  The short stories will appear in the book in the order I draw and write the genres.  

Well, the writers and librarian came through for me with some very specific, mind-reeling genres!  Genres I'm not generally known for writing, as if I'm known for writing, but you know what I mean.  I will be writing outside of my comfort zone, and I am nervous and excited by this challenge!  

Yesterday I jotted down the genres on 13 pieces of paper (one person was allowed a third suggestion) and placed them in my Halloween jar, which I badly painted two years ago.  Within the week I will draw the first genre and see where it takes me.  
 

 
Thank you for your time and much thanks to the one librarian and five writers!
I just hope I don't flake out or lose interest.

Freak Out, 
JLH
 
 
 
 
 
RELATED POSTS:

P.S.  I am also working on a separate old/new project that I hope to see completed before the end of October, but that is another post for another day.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic John!! Can't wait to see what you will create! You've got the talent, you've got the desire ... Kudos my friend! You will make it happen, I'm sure!! Happy Trails!!

    ReplyDelete