Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Rubber Duck Lips

 (a tale of my dad)




"I can see something is wrong from here." 

This is what I said to my sister, many years ago,  as we watched our dad approach from inside the fast food restaurant.  My sister warned me that our dad had experienced a prominent allergic reaction to a new medication, but nothing prepared me for the protruding sight coming closer and closer. 

I didn't just stare when our dad entered the restaurant, I gawked.  I gaped.  I couldn't take my eyes off of our dad's swollen lips.  They weren't just fat lip swollen.  They were the after photo in a precautionary ad for botched plastic surgery swollen.  Joan Rivers would've been envious of his extremely full lips.

Just when I felt a rumble of laughter threatening to erupt, our dad thankfully told us what he wanted for lunch and found us a table.  While in line, I made a few one word exclamations and then asked her if he was in pain.  He wasn't but it had to feel weird.  I mean, seriously, his lips appeared to be at the bursting point. 

We got our lunch and joined Dad at a booth.  Dad was across from me and this provided the opportunity for a closer examination of his obvious allergic reaction.  It was then when I realized his upper lip was pushing up in the middle and his lower lip was pushing down, not unlike a rubber duck.  Another rumble of laughter threatened to out me as a horrible son, so I looked away.  Even staring out the window while eating didn't stop the rumbling.  All I could see if I had to glance in his general direction and all I could think when turned away was...Rubber Duck Lips

Later, when alone with my sister, I laughed loudly and a lot.  (I still laugh hysterically about it to this day and wish I had a photo)  I think I foun this terrible thing so terribly funny because of the bath toy association and because our dad appeared unfazed by his temporary condition.  (Yes, his lips eventually deflated back to their normal shape and size)  I don't think I would want to be seen in public if that happened to me, let alone eat in view of others.  Maybe it's his generation, but he doesn't seem easily embarrassed, which causes me endless embarrassment.  Like the time he wore that bear shirt to Stockman's Cafe, but that's another tale for another time.

Thank you for reading or listening to my half-blind words.

Freak Out, 
JLH 

P.S. An old tale hinting at another tale of my dad...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go dark!
Visit Sturgeons! 
Get bent! 
Freak out! 
My books & blogs...



7 comments:

  1. Wow...just, wow. Thanks for sharing what must have been a really awkward moment. If it's any consolation, I probably would've laughed as well. ;) Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barry!
      It was one of those unreal moments!
      And I'm glad you would have probably laugh too.

      Delete
  2. That's a funny story. I don't know your father but maybe you should have invited him to laugh along with you. My kids (especially my youngest) mock me ruthlessly all the time. If you can't laugh at yourself, what can you laugh at? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that sounds good in theory.
      I've never had that sort of relationship with my father though.
      If it had been my sister, then oh yes. Mocking would have happened.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it all depends on whether the person can take a good mocking. Since you sometimes have to be the heavy with your kids, I established early on that I was also the clown.

      Delete
    3. That's a smart idea and I'm sure it didn't take much convincing. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete