Friday, June 30, 2023

A breakfast casserole for lunch…

I recently attended a potluck lunch at the library and decided to actually cook my breakfast casserole.  I have only prepared this dish for my sister and our dad, so I wasn’t sure what outsiders would think.  Especially since I altered the original recipe to suit my particular taste. 
A breakfast casserole is browned to perfection
For example, I changed the 2 cups of cubed ham to 1 pound (package) of bacon.  Instead of 4 cups of shredded mild cheddar cheese, I use only 2 cups of shredded mozzarella.  Sometimes, but not always, I substitute the 1 cup of milk with 1 cup of buttermilk.  I must also add the original recipe called for a bag of hash browns to be layered frozen in the pan, but I use frozen diced potatoes and cook them first. 

Thankfully, the lucky potluck attendees enjoyed my breakfast casserole!  There was even leftovers for my sister and I to enjoy.  We both agree that a morning after microwaved leftover tastes even better than fresh from the oven. 
A slice of the  breakfast casserole
The best news is no one developed food poisoning or died from my casserole.  Well, at least not as far as I know.  On that note, here is my recipe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Freakboy’s Breakfast of Champions Casserole 

Ingredients…
1/2 cup of melted butter or margarine 
30 ounce bag of frozen seasoned diced potatoes 
12 eggs 
1 cup milk or buttermilk 
2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese  
1 pound of bacon 
Dash of pepper 

Directions…
Cut bacon into chunks and fry in a pan.  (add a dash of pepper to the sizzling bacon as it cooks)  
Then set bacon aside on a plate.

Using the bacon grease, fry potatoes until lightly brown. 

Layer potatoes in a greased 9” by 13” pan.

Pour melted butter over potatoes. 

Mix eggs, milk, cheese
and bacon together in a large bowl.  Pour
over top of the potatoes.

Bake at 350° F for 1 hour or until the top is nice and brown.  (It may take less than an hour because of the cooked potatoes)
Remove from
oven and let sit for 10 minutes.  
Serve.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
My breakfast casserole is wildly unhealthy and not vegetarian or vegan friendly.  Just like any recipe, use mine as a starting point and then alter it to your personal taste!  

Thank you for reading or listening to my half-blind words.

Freak Out, 
JLH 

P.S.  If you just can’t wait for a 2-in-1 print edition of STURGEONS, which will hopefully drop in July, you can always read DARKENING and HAUNTING as individual ebooks! 
A screenshot of the ebooks Darkening Sturgeons and Haunting Sturgeons, with text that reads, Sturgeons, 2 book series, kindle edition, Something strange is happening in the seemingly idyllic small town of Sturgeons.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, I may have to share it with my husband as a wee hint for a weekend treat. And I love the name of it too.. sounds like another good book title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is delicious, so I hope your husband takes the hint!

      Delete
  2. That looks fantastic! So,when are you starting a catering business? 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but a catering business won't happen until my cats learn how to cook and serve food! Lol

      Delete