Thursday, November 25, 2021

The Day I Slaughtered a Pumpkin

 A gardening friend gave me a pumpkin. 


What the hell am I supposed to do with a pumpkin? 


She suggested making a pie.  


I said I could try, but I had my doubts I would. 


Yet, I did.


Two, actually. 


I found a recipe on the Food Network website… 

(Click here for the details

…and then grabbed a big knife! 🔪 


First, I decapitated the stem, like I was about to carve a jack o’lantern.  Then I cut the pumpkin’s body in half and disemboweled it.  As if saving a souvenir from my kill, I placed the gooey, seedy guts safely aside.


A baked smoking pumpkin cut in half
Someone is ignoring the “No Smoking” sign

Throwing the two oiled-up halves in the oven for a half hour or so made it easier to slice the pumpkin meat from its skin.  Then I pounded the meat hard until it became a smooth, creamy substance.  Adding molasses, cinnamon, ginger and other stuff, I stirred until it was time to fill the store bought pie crusts.  (My deepest apologies to Ms. Floridia Minch


Two pumpkin pies ready to be baked
My pies use protection

Around an hour later, I had two (mostly) made from scratch pies.  Surprisingly, unlike the chocolate salt lick pie I made in home-ec class, my pumpkin pies were quite tasty.  I even shared one pie with my gardening friend, our mutual friend and a few librarians.  The best part about that was nobody but the pumpkin died from my baking experiment.


Two fresh out of the oven pumpkin pies
This is the day when 1 becomes 2

As for my souvenir, I washed the guts off the pumpkin seeds and let them dry.  Then I pored a little canola oil in a bowl, added a pinch of salt and mixed in the seeds.  After draining the excess oil, I baked them on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes at 350° F, turning the seeds every 5 minutes.  What I learned from this is that unborn pumpkins taste a lot like big sunflower seeds. 


A plate of baked pumpkin seeds
Seeds of Sin?

I also learned that my grandma must have really, really loved us for some reason.  Why else would she have cooked multiple pies and dinners a year over many years?  I mean, I was wiped out just from making the two pies this one time.  


In other words, while I’m glad I made the pies, I don’t love anyone enough to make a habit out of slaughtering pumpkins. 😏


The corpse of a pumpkin
2021 - 2021 🪦 

Happy Thanksgiving or whatever.


Freak Out, 

JLH 


P.S.  click the pic ⤵️ to get hardcore thankful…


Two eyes staring from a box

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In case you need to escape a family gathering… 


Go home


4 comments:

  1. Mmm... Those pies look good. I guess I'll have to just imagine how it would've been. I commend you for your labors in the kitchen, John! Happy Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barry!
      They were quite good and I didn’t lose a finger, so that’s a bonus. Lol

      Delete
  2. These look seriously good John! Now I am superhungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gill.
      They were delicious and we're not around long. LOL

      Delete