Tuesday, September 21, 2021

HAUNTING STURGEONS: Chapter Seven

 Previously in this blog serial...


(Click here to read Chapter Six


Now the HAUNTING continues...

______________


Haunting Sturgeons, chapter 7, by John L. Harmon

    I am holding onto my glass of beer like a life preserver as Eddie’s question washes over my mind.  What has he heard?  I don’t believe he would pay attention to gossip, but people talk and it’s hard not to listen.  What should I tell him?  I know he doesn’t want a generic I’m fine answer He really wants to know how I’ve been doing. 


    “Well, Eddie, I’m doing ok.  Going back to college in the fall, but…” I pause, trying to find the words.  “It’s been rough.”  


    Eddie nods and I open the floodgates.  I explain how what was left of my family somehow made it out of Sturgeons on that final day, but I didn’t see anything since I was curled up in the backseat.  Then I touch upon how I had to grow up fast in a home with grieving parents.  He asks how they are doing, jolting me into momentary silence. 


    I take a deep breath, knowing there is no turning back.  “My father died last year from a heart attack.  I don’t know if his excessive drinking was the cause but it has been hard on my mother.  She keeps to herself these days, rarely leaving her home.” 


    “Damn, Jimmy, I had no idea.  I’m so sorry.”


    “I guess my family never fully dealt with Tommy’s disappearance.”  


    Eddie refills our empty glasses and we sit drinking in silence.  Discussing my parents reminds me of the countless times I needed my best friend.  When my father was in a drunken rage about the lawman.  When my mother couldn’t stop crying over Tommy.  When I needed someone to talk to in the middle of a sleepless night.  


    “What about you, Eddie?” 


    “I’m doing alright, Jimmy,” he begins with an apologetic look on his face.  “I knew college wasn’t in the cards for me, so I just kept working for my dad after high school.”  


    “When did you move back to Sturgeons?” I inquire, feeling a twinge of residual resentment at my parents for not wanting to return.


    “Oh, we left our temporary home in Haven Creek the minute Sturgeons was rebuilt.”  Eddie takes a drink of beer to hide what sounds like a chuckle, but then suddenly turns somber.  “There’s something I should tell you, Jimmy.  My dad and I swung by the hospital the night before everything went to hell.  We were leaving Sturgeons and my dad wanted to ask my uncle and aunt to come with us, but they refused.  Tracy was still in shock after witnessing what happened to your brother.  They didn’t think she was fit to travel, so they stayed until it was too late.  At least that’s what we heard later.” 


    What am I supposed to say?  That I’m sorry, even though I know Eddie wasn’t close to his cousin.  That I never liked Tracy either and how maybe Tommy would still be here if he hadn’t dated her.  I close the gates on these useless thoughts and instead express condolences by raising my glass of beer, “To those we’ve lost…” 


    “…and to those we found,” Eddie finishes the toast and we clink glasses twice.  After a long drink of beer, he sets his glass down and gazes at me.  A curious look flashes in his eyes as that sweet, lopsided grin fills his face.  “Let’s get outta here, Jimmy.”

______________


The HAUNTING continues in…


Chapter Eight

   

Thank you for reading or listening to my half-blind words! 


Freak Out, 

JLH 


~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click the pic ⤵️ for a cinematic interview with an eclectic film blogger…


Cinematic catharsis


4 comments:

  1. ...and the plot continues to thicken! Looking forward to your next chapter, John. You sure know how to keep us in suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing what happens next... Great read John.

    ReplyDelete