Monday, August 24, 2015

Atrociously Sporadic (or you write you want a resolution...)

Near the end of 2005, I realized how atrociously sporadic my reading habits had become.  I would read a book or two, but then months would pass before I read another.  Not sure why this was, but I hated it.  I love reading, so I made my first ever New Year's resolution.  I would read one book a month in 2006, no more, no less.  

My thought was that I needed structure to resuscitate my reading habits.  If I overdid it, I would burn out or make excuses.  Oh, I read two books this month, so I'll skip next month.  That would've eventually destroyed my progress, sending me back to sporadic reading and the guilt over it.

Thankfully, I held fast to my resolution, and now, I read continuously. Rarely a day goes by between books, unless I need to emotionally decompress or seriously contemplate what I just read.  Yes, I read only one book at a time, and I often take my time with each one.  I find I enjoy and retain more of the book this way.  Plus, I feel the author has my undivided attention as he or she weaves me into the fabric of the story.

Now, in the year 2015, I find my writing to be atrociously sporadic.  I haven't blogged much lately, which I hate.  So, I'm making a non-New Year's resolution.  I will publish at least one blogpost a week from now on. Fiction.  Non-fiction.  So-called poetry things.  Inane ramblings. Whatever. The posts don't have to be long, just so long as I see each one through.

So, hold onto your unmentionables because this might be a bumpy ride!  
Thank you for your time and patience.

FREAK OUT,
JLH

P.S.  I know this writing resolution isn't as structured as my reading resolution, but I believe it will personally help me in the long run, or it won't.  Only time and my determination can say for certain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment